Thursday, September 13, 2012

Back To School

Since the kids have gone back to school it has Ben and I talking about what we want to do for our little munchkins. This may seem like a no brainer for most people. 
Send your kids to the school of your choice. Done and done!

It's a little more complicated than that for us!

You see, both Ben and I were home schooled. I started in grade four and my husband never went to school at all.
We both grew up in a very pro Catholic, homeschooling circle.

Now I would say most people would support whatever it is that we decide to do, problem is that we can't decide what to do.




The reason this is even a question is because I believe whole heartily that I am the person I am today with the morals that I have because of homeschooling. I was exposed to so many different experiences I wouldn't have had the opportunity to if I went to school. It taught me the value of family and I knew very young that I wanted to be a mother because of it.

If I didn't homeschool I would have never met my husband. Whoa! Weird right.

I also believe, in my particular case, I would have learned more than I did ( school wise ) being in a strict dead line environment. Having so many little siblings made if difficult for me to study and being at home all day killed my motivation!



So you see my dilemma!

Which one is of greater importance or rather, both are important! Is it possible to have both? All the amazing experiences and flexibility of homeschooling with a good well rounded education that will allow you to succeed in life!

Should we homeschool for elementary?

Should we homeschool for junior high?

Should we homeschool for high school?

Should we homeschool the entire time or not at all? A mix mash of both?

Does it depend on the child?



I think homeschooling can really strengthen your family. You get to choose a curriculum that best suits that particular child's learning style and gives them the freedom to peruse courses that might not be available to them in the school system ( Because of all the different curriculum options ). 
It would allow me to teach my children the faith which is so important to us.
It would also lessen the influence of all the "bad" things I don't want my children getting into and if I can get rid of them having to deal with some pier pressure, why not!

I would like to point out that, YES! We were homeschool. That does not mean you live in a bubble where you can ignore the world and are completely sheltered having no idea about what's going on outside the four walls of your house. 




Homeschooling has so many great things that I love about it.
But.... On the flip side I know how hard it can be. How many countless hours were spent making out schedules and times tables of when/what would happen. Teaching not just one grade but multiple grades at the same time. Finding the balance between home life and school specially when you have little ones to tend to as well. 
I don't even know how it would be financially!

Being completely responsible for the education of my children scares the crap out of me! Lets be honest.
What if you aren't a whizz in math?! Or don't remember a single thing about biology?!




I am not against going to school.
You can get a good education.
 Sometimes it makes sense to let someone who is trained as a teacher, be a teacher! I know a bunch of great people who are teachers, heck I went into university to be one :)
Having a bunch of teachers skilled in their particular subject could defiantly surpass my one person trying to teach it all.

Going to school you are able to do the social side of things you aren't able to do as often if you homeschool. I think that is really important! Defiantly something the teenage me would have liked to have a little more of.




Im happy my kids are still much to young for school and I have time to figure out what I should do. Im confident that when the time comes, everything will just work out! 
I know God has a plan for our family, 
I just have to discover what it is!







Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...